Thursday, July 5, 2007

Put Your Records On

"Girl, put your records on / Tell me your favorite song."

My 10-year-old niece, Munchkinface, received an iPod for her last birthday. Since she doesn't have a credit card, she asks my sister to download songs for her. Before we left on a recent road trip, she asked for Fergalicious, the supposed clean version. My niece is one of the lights of my life, but I might have refused to download that song for her. I guess a mother's love really is unconditional, because my sister plunked down 99 cents for that excrement.

Munchkinface, you are a superstar. We read the entire Chronicles of Narnia together the winter before last and had our own little long distance book club. You are a brilliant budding flute player and you sing on a couple of choirs. So fer reals, kid: Fergie Ferg?! Maybe your brain just needed a break from working so hard; I don't know. But it's all right, girl. Tita liked Samantha Fox when she was about your age. (Shhh, don't tell anyone.) Your taste in music can only go up from here.

Meanwhile, my latest iPod downloads are Corinne Bailey Rae and Ozomatli. Corinne's Put Your Records On reminds me of road trips down to the beach with my girlfriends, driving with the top down, wearing our bikinis, blowing kisses to the boys in the next car over. And Ozomatli just rocks it out. I can't wait to see them live at the Edmonton Folkfest next month.
Post a Comment