Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Write the Songs

"Music fills your heart / Well, that’s a real fine place to start"

A new--or perhaps just irregular, on SO many levels--reader [Hi, Drew!] asked me the other day if the words quoted at the beginning of a post were my own. I'm flattered that he might have thought so, but the words in quotation marks are song lyrics.

My loyal readers [All seven of you: Hi! Kisses! And happy birthday, Betsy!] may have noted that I am fairly music-obsessed. So my blog should reflect that, right? Why have a boring title like "Archives" for my archives when I can reference a song by t.A.T.u. that suggests "stuff from before" AND has faux lesbian overtones? Now you're thinking about faux lesbians, aren't you? You're welcome.

I purposely chose the lyrics above from I Write the Songs [Yes, it is made famous by Barry Manilow. Shut up.] to illustrate my blogging process. Once I know what I want to write about, I pick a song with lyrics that serve as a kind of writing prompt for a new post. I got the idea to blog in this manner when Day One, a Sarah Slean song that gave me new perspective on my recent housing debacle, inspired my first blog post.

Mystery? Solved.
Post a Comment