Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hello Bonjour

"...every single child is a son or a daughter / of the one earth mama and the one earth papa / ...Tell me who you are / Say hello, hello! / Bonjour, bonjour! / Hola, hola! / Konichiwa, konichiwa wa!"

So I'm talking to my unborn fetus this morning, and I wanted to talk about what Dusty was doing in front of the house. What came out was: "Nasa labas si Daddy, nag--uh--shoshovel nang--erm--snow sa ating driveway."1

Then I thought I should explain why I'm speaking bad Taglish2, so I said, "Palaging summer kasi sa Pilipinas, eh. Walang snow, walang winter. Kaya hindi alam ni Mama kung paano sabihin ito sa Tagalog."3

Maybe I should just stick to "Mahal na mahal ka ni Mama at Daddy, bituin ko. Hindi na kami mapakali! Gusto ka na naming makilala."4



"Hello Bonjour" by Michael Franti and Spearhead
1. Daddy is outside shoveling snow from our driveway.
2. Tagalog + English = Taglish
3. See, it's always summer in the Philippines. There's no snow or winter. So Mama doesn't know how to say these words in Tagalog.
4. Mama and Daddy love you very much, my little star. We 're so excited we don't know what to do with ourselves! We can't wait to meet you.
Post a Comment