Monday, January 28, 2008

Missing You

"I ain't missing you, I ain't missing you / I can't lie to myself / And there's a storm that's raging / Through my frozen heart tonight"

I adore postcards. They're the perfect size for short "I'm thinking about you" notes and they allow me to travel vicariously. I just got this one today from Cookie, my Self from 2004.


That's a photo of Murphy Street in Sunnyvale, California. It's about two or three miles from where Dusty and I lived right before moving to Canada in mid-2004. Incidentally, it's also around the corner from my favorite Target store. On the back of the postcard, it says:

"Hey, Cookie 2008! How are you? It's been a while since we had one of our chats over soy lattes. I could use a warm beverage right about now. It's a bit chilly and overcast here today at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Brr! It's supposed to clear up later, but the temp is still a little on the chilly side. Low 5os, I think. We're walking over to Saizo for Japanese tapas tonight with the crew. The restaurant's only two blocks away, but I better make sure I break out my super-warm fleece. Anyway, I miss you, girl! Drop me a line when you can."



Hey, Cookie 2004! I miss Saizo; I loved the grilled squid there. Fresh seafood is a rare treat here in the tundra. We definitely can't get it anywhere within walking distance. Enjoy!

Yesterday, we had a blizzard that dumped about a foot of snow on our front yard. The snow was quite lovely and pristine, especially since I was looking at it falling outside my bedroom window while I was cozy in bed. It wasn't so lovely this morning, when it took Dusty half an hour to dig us out of our driveway.

Outside right now, it's -42 with windchill. Don't ask me what that is in Fahrenheit. Once it gets below -40, the temperature is both F and C -- Fucking Cold. Dusty had to plug in the engine heater on our car to make sure it would start. I wore a turtleneck and sweater, longjohns under my jeans, a toque [that's a knit hat to you], gloves, snow boots, and a down coat just to make sure I was warm enough to walk from my car into the post office 200 yards away.

Anyway, great to hear from you. Thanks for the postcard from SUNNYvale. Bitch.



"Missing You" by John Waite, although I like Tina Turner's version better.

Post a Comment