Monday, January 21, 2008

Poetry Monday: SPAMtastic

When I was a kid, one of my favorite weekend activities was going food shopping with my mom. Most of the time, we would go to the neighborhood market and get fresh vegetables and fruits for the week, as well as fresh cuts of meat or fish. About once a month, though, the whole family would pile into the car and go into the city to the "American store".

The "American store" was in the basement of ShoeMart, the biggest department store in Makati, and it sold imported products. It was a magical land of treats. They had Hershey's kisses, Toblerone bars, Oscar Mayer hot dogs, Wonder bread, and [insert heavenly choir here] CANNED GOODS. Little sausages, apparently from Vienna, IN A CAN! Albacore tuna IN A CAN! [Who eats tuna from a can when you can get just-caught-that-morning tuna at the market? Americans are SO fancy!]

Out of all those childhood treats, my one true love has always been SPAM. Not Treet or Klick or Processed Pork Product #5, but SPAMMMM. There can be only one.

It's nearly lunchtime and I'm hungry, so I was inspired to write the SPAM-ku below.

SPAMtastic

Fried crisp, with steamed rice
is the only way to eat
my perfect soul food



Post a Comment