Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

"When green is all there is to be / it could make you wonder why, / but why wonder, why wonder? / I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful! / And I think it's what I want to be."

Well, at least one good thing has come out of my wee tenant STILL ignoring my eviction notices: Dusty and I were able to go to a matinee showing of The Incredible Hulk this afternoon. If Wonder Woman is the superhero I wish I could be, then the Hulk is the flawed and broken superhero I already am. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I don't like me when I'm angry. And apparently, Bruce Banner doesn't like himself when he's angry, either. I feel you, brah. Seriously.

About a week ago, I caught the last hour of Ang Lee's much-maligned Hulk on Spike TV. That version starred one of my former boys, Eric Bana, and Dusty's girl Jennifer Connelly, and I still thought it was terrible. Bana's Banner didn't like himself when he's angry, but holy Mary was he more whiny about it than Edward Norton's Banner. Bana was only working with what he was given, but it's still clear that Norton is a far superior actor who can convey emotion with just a furrow of his brow. I also really identified with this Bruce Banner's attempts at controlling or at least channeling his anger. If I must go into "Cookie smash!" mode sometimes, I would like to have a good reason to do it.

Since the new Hulk movie just opened on Friday night, I won't say too much more about it. You really should just go see it. Dusty and I both really enjoyed ourselves and there were so many cinematic treats for fans and newbies alike. Speaking of treats, this is better than the trailer for selling the movie. I just watched it again and peed my pants, and not just because there's an overdue live human being pressing on my bladder.


"It's Not Easy Being Green" sung by Kermit the Frog

Post a Comment