Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dancin'

"I keep on dancin', dancin' / Nothing left to say, nothing left to do . . . / You've got me dancin'"

It seems to have become our new family tradition to attend the Sunday evening show at Folkfest. We love us some live music, but four straight days of it is a bit much. Thankfully, the last night of Folkfest tends to be the best. Dusty, Diana, and I arrived at Gallagher Park just in time to meet up with Uncle KPAX for a sampling of Luc Doucet's twangy "wheat rock". The set was pretty good, but not compelling enough to keep us distracted from our hungry bellies and thirsty gullets. After just a couple of songs, we headed down to get our food and drink on. Diana outdrooled everyone at the beer tent.

We took note of all the families with young babies picnicking on the grass and patted ourselves on the back for not hauling our gigantor stroller onto the grounds. I was really happy not to be among the exhausted parents pushing their overtired kids in strollers up the hill after the show like so many Sisyphuses [Sisyphi?]. Diana did just dandy in her carrier and we were able to roll in and out of the festival pretty quickly. KPAX was impressed that we traveled so light, with just one backpack to hold all our baby gear. A happy baby is clean, warm, and fed. So for a day out, Diana doesn't need much more gear than a couple of diapers, a blanket, and warm clothes. My boobs don't fit in the backpack, but I never leave home without them anyway.

During Broken Social Scene's set, we met up with Laurel, Mike, and Su at the beer tent and headed up to their tarp after finishing our pitcher. Every year, Laurel does the tarp run and gets a prime spot on the hill for all her moocher friends like us. Thanks, Tita Laurel!

KPAX was sure that the Peatbog Faeries would be my new favorite band, but I wasn't that impressed. Sure, Diana and I had a fine time dancing to their Celtic rock electronica, but I felt like a bunch of their songs sounded exactly alike. I may be a Scottish accent whore, but it takes more than a wee brogue and a great set of bagpipes to impress me. Maybe our friend Kevin, who is apparently a huge fan of the Faeries, can enlighten us on their appeal.

Now the Duhks from Winnipeg - these cats may very well be my new favorite band. Their version of the folk standard "A Mighty Storm" was fierce and "Out of the Rain" was phenomenal. Dusty joined me and Diana near the stage area for a dance to one of their more uproarious fiddle songs. Diana got so excited by all the dancing, she pooped her pants. At least she waited until the song was over. I guess if you don't know how to clap yet, you have to express yourself some other way.

I'm a little perplexed at her reaction to Chris Isaak, however:

The hot-pink-suited Mr. Isaak was brilliant, funny, charming, and laid-back. His set had just the right mix of hits and favorites to make the ladies swoon and get the rest of the audience dancing. He got the entire hill on its feet when he decided to run through the crowds during "Love Me Tender". He then climbed the scaffolding to the left of the screen you can see in the photo above and waved to all of us. Oh, Chris, you so crazy!

I can hardly believe I never saw his live show before Sunday. What the hell was I spending my concert money on when I lived in San Francisco?! I'm so glad he changed into his famous mirrorball suit halfway through the set; Laurel had talked it up so much I was going to be bummed if I didn't see it. Only Chris Isaak could wear a mirrorball suit. Sigh.

Folkfest was as fun as it was last year, but I can't wait until next year, when Diana will be old enough to actually dance on her own two feet. Now that will be -- to steal a phrase from my good friend Drew -- awesome like a spossum.

"Dancin'" by Chris Isaak

Post a Comment