Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How Do You Sleep?

"Ah, how do you sleep? / Ah, how do you sleep at night?"

You know, I really need to just unpucker and relax. The trip to Calgary was a dream. Diana slept through the 2 1/2 hour drive down to Calgary and almost all the way home the next day. She got hungry right outside of Airdrie, so I had to take her out of her car seat and feed her, all illegal-like, while the car was in motion. Thanks for reminding me to bring my boobs, Betsy!

We ended up getting a room for our overnight stay at the Calgary Days Inn with two double beds, so we set up Diana's co-sleeper in one of them. It not only provided a familiar place for her to sleep, it also assured me that she wasn't actually touching the hotel sheets. Because, as you know, suddenly hotel sheets = ICK. It took her a little while to get to sleep that night, but once she was asleep, she was down for 5 1/2 hours. Let me type that again - FIVE HOURS AND THIRTY MINUTES. Sorry for the shouting, but you can imagine why uninterrupted sleep would be so exciting to a new parent. It was also nice being able to snuggle with my hunny again, after six weeks of sleeping with Diana's co-sleeper between us.

Diana was actually a champion sleeper for the trip. She slept through the entire proceedings at the Consulate, including the part where her parents and the rest of the American citizens were separated from the Great Unwashed. The security guard actually physically put us in separate lines, handing us tickets that designated "A" if you're American and "V" for "Visitor" if you're a filthy foreigner. I guess only Lady Liberty embraces the tired, poor, and wretched masses yearning to breathe free. Uncle Sam would really rather they stood in that line over there.

After the trip, she continued her champion sleeping. For two days afterward, she slept six hours each night. SIX CONTINUOUS HOURS OF SLEEP. She's back to her usual two- to three-hour stretches of sleep now, but I will treasure those two glorious days, three if we count the hotel stay. How I'd missed Rapid Eye Movement. How I'd longed for my brain to function like that again. It was still only chugging along at half-speed, but half is greater than zero. [Right? Someone check my math.] For the first time in weeks, I was able to speak in complete sentences. I knew where my glass of water was at all times and not once did I leave tea steeping from 10 AM until 3 PM.

I will remember those continuous hours of sleep when we let her sleep on her own at night for the first time. I will probably need to find lyrics that go something like "Tore my own ears off" or "Sweet Zombie Jesus, please stop the crying".


"How Do You Sleep?" by John Lennon
Post a Comment