Thursday, August 28, 2008

It's Not Right, But It's OK

"I've been through this before"

When I was in Barcelona in April 2007, I came across this sign on the Modernisme walking tour:


As soon as I got home, I e-mailed Karincita the photo and lamented, "Sweet Mother of God, does the Oficina Turista need editors! Just look at it! Ay! Que mal!" She and I plotted to go around the world, armed with righteous indignation and red Sharpies, to correct such abominations. We would do it for the children. Why won't anybody think of the children when they wield punctuation irresponsibly?

Jeff Deck and Benjamin Herson beat us to the punch. These two "self-styled vigilantes" corrected a sign in a national park and were banned from all national parks for a year, plus fined $3,000 for the repair of the sign. I guess that's the price you have to pay for guerrilla grammar.

Still, I applaud their moxie and agree with Deck, who didn't correct a misspelling and says, "I shall be haunted by that perversity, emense, in my train-whistle-blighted dreams tonight."
I feel your pain, brother.

"It's Not Right, But It's OK" by Whitney Houston
Post a Comment