Thursday, March 5, 2009

Song for A Winter's Night

"The lamp is burnin' low upon my table top / The snow is softly fallin' / The air is still within the silence of my room / I hear your voice softly callin'"

On Tuesday, I came out of London Drugs after just 20 minutes and had to scrape ice from my windshield; I kept the car running so the battery wouldn't freeze up again. Yesterday, I went to Superstore with the baby and had to wade through the snow runoff in the parking lot just to get a cart. Today, there was a winter storm watch warning for Central Alberta. It's drafty in my house and my child is wearing two sets of pajamas.

Freeze, thaw, repeat. For most of the rest of the world, the onset of March means that springtime is coming. For Edmontonians, it means that springtime is coming . . . OH GODDESSES PLEASE LET SPRINGTIME COME AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF MAY?!

But you know what? I don't care. This year, we are going to skip the coming of springtime and jump right into summer, at least for a week. That's right, kids! We're going to Maui! I've booked our flight, car rental, and condo. I bought the baby two pairs of shorts on clearance and I'm dusting off all my best flip-flops. A co-worker lent us some guidebooks and one of them is already bursting with post-its. Can you tell I'm excited? Because I am. REALLY REALLY REALLY EXCITED. It's like Christmas is coming, only better because when we get to Christmas, I will be nearly naked on the beach! Just like home . . .

So here are a few things we have been told about Maui:
1) Haleakala is gorgeous and we should try to hike a little in the crater. If we go see the sunrise at the summit, bundle up.
2) The best beaches for kids are on the west side of the island.
3) Every beach is open to the public, even the ones in front of fancy hotels.
4) It takes about three hours to drive the 30-mile Road to Hana. We might consider taking sick bags.
5) Parking in Lahaina is terrible, but it is a lovely walk-around town.
6) Swim in at least one waterfall pool.

Do you have something new to tell us about Maui? Be quick about it because we only have 48 days six weeks one and a half months [Is that the smallest possible time measure?!] until we leave.

WOO-freakin'-HOO!!!


"Song for A Winter's Night" by Gordon Lightfoot, re-made famous by Sarah McLachlan

Post a Comment