Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thankful

"And on this day we hope for / What we still can't see / It's up to us to be the change / And even though we all can still do more / There's so much to be thankful for"

Dusty was away in Edmonton for Thanksgiving Day, so we celebrated the Sunday before, with his dad. It was a really good visit. Dad was mellow and happy, watching Notre Dame basketball on TV with Dusty and enjoying the girls' shenanigans. He has been living in a nearby memory care senior home since August and he's had ups and downs. We just take each day as it comes and hope for the best. 

We all certainly enjoyed our Thanksgiving feast. Every year since moving back to the U.S., we have ordered a complete Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods, and it is always delicious. I think it's even tastier because I didn't have to spend an entire day cooking; just a couple of hours to heat everything up and bake a pecan pie. Mmm... pecan pie.

Cheers to our Thanksgiving feast!
On Thanksgiving, the girls and I had a Bed Day. We set up a cozy sleepover spot in the living room and lounged in our pajamas all day. We watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (KISS was at the parade, y'all. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley lip-synching badly made me--and them--so sad.), a bunch of new episodes of Dora and Friends (decent show, actually), my favorite cooking show, Chopped, and a couple of great movies: Free Birds (enjoyable and surprisingly funny) and The Pirate Fairy (I loved this movie before, but ever since Hiddles started ruining my life, I love it even more). We ate turkey empanadas, read books to each other, did a little drawing and origami, played a few card and board games, napped. It was the best day ever.

I am thankful that I get to be their mama.
In other news, I will turn 40 on Monday. Forty. The New Twenty. 

On my 20th birthday, I wrote this in my journal: "I am just so happy right now. I'm doing well in school, my work is getting published and appreciated, I'm a great vice president (of the Filipino Cultural Association at University of Maryland), I'm comfortable with my circle of friends, and I have a fantastic boyfriend. What more could I want?" Rock on, 20-year-old Me!

On my 40th birthday, I will probably write something very similar in my journal, but now I have even more reasons to be happy and so much to be thankful for. My life kicks serious ass.

Birthdays are always huge for me, and right around this time every year, I always get contemplative about where I've been, where I am, where I hope to be. For my 39th Trip Around the Sun, I set forth my intentions to become a better version of myself, to give of myself to the Universe, and I think I've accomplished some of those goals. I'm going to spend the next week thinking about my intentions for my 40th.

One of the unwritten goals I had set for myself this year is to face some of my biggest fears on the way to Fearless Forty. Rocking the hula competition with my beloved sisters this summer was huge for me, and I decided to face my fear of deep water and become a better swimmer. On the night of my first swim lesson in nearly 25 years, I wrote: "I consider myself to have fairly big ovarios, but I confess: being in the deepest part of the pool really scared me. *breathe* Time to woman up for Wednesday's class. Onward and upward!"

I will be 40 years old next week. I am thankful that I still get to change and learn and grow. 


Thankful by Josh Groban 
Post a Comment